Home   Services   Safety around the house   References   Contact us   Links

Safety around the house

 

There are many dangers around the house, please take a look at the sections below or alternatively have a look at the following website. http://www.esc.org.uk/safety-in-the-home

 

Obvious Dangers

You can prevent obvious dangers around the house by not making these following mistakes

Changing a belt on a vacuum cleaner while it is still plugged in

Always unplug an appliance before any maintenance. You risk injury from electric shock, burns and mechanical movement if you tackle maintenance before appliances are unplugged and have cooled down.

Drying clothes on an electric heater, with water dripping onto live parts

This is particularly dangerous, and could cause an electric shock or fire. Many electrical appliances, such as heaters, have ventilation slots to prevent overheating. if these slots are covered up, the appliance could overheat and catch fire, or if water drips in, these is a risk of electric shock.

I want a brighter light in the hallway

Using a bulb with a higher wattage than allowed by the light fitting can cause overheating. In very rare circumstances the lampshade or lampholder may overheat and start a fire. Try using a low-energy compact fluorescent lamp, which can last around eight times longer than a normal tungsten lamp, can run cooler, and provide as much light while saving on electricity.

Trailing the cable under the carpet or rug to keep it out of the way

Flexible cables trailed under carpets, rugs or across walkways are a danger in terms of tripping, but also possible fire risk. Repeated stretching and treading on the cable may damage the cable insulation.

Hanging a picture on the wall

Never drill holes or fix nails in walls or partitions without knowing what is hidden behind them. You could find electrical cables and gas and water pipes. Drilling through a live cable is extremly dangerous, and could cause electric shocks, burns or even a fire.

Adaptors and extensions around your home

Due to things like entertainment equipment an average number of sockets in a room has now increased to eight rather than four. This leads us to use extension leads and adaptors to provide a quick and easy solution but if they are misused can create a real danger. Don't use adaptors plugged into other adaptors. Don't overload adaptors, particularly with high-current appliances such as kettles, irons and heaters. (Low-current appliances include radios, televisions, computers and hi-fi equipment.)

 

 

 

 

Disclaimer | Sitemap

Copyright © 2010 GD Electrics.
All rights reserved.