Safety around the house
There are many dangers around the house, please take a look at the sections below or alternatively have a look at the following website. http://www.esc.org.uk/safety-in-the-home
Dont create possible dangers by overloading sockets, and never ignore warning sings like burning smells, sounds of arcing (buzzing or crackling), fuses blowing or circuit-breakers tripping. Electrical accidents are most likely to happen when equipment is damaged or misused. To prevent an accident waiting to happen please follow the basic safety guidelines.
Condition and safety of your plugs, sockets and flexes
Damaged plugs, sockets and flexible cables can cause electric shocks, burns and fires. Follow these simple rules to avoid problems.
Remove plugs from sockets carefully. Pulling out a plug by the cable puts a strain on it, and could damage the contact between the plug and socket. This could result in the plug overheating, its wires becoming loose or an electric shock (if the earth wire is disconnected).
Check the plug and socket for burn marks, sounds of 'arcing' (buzzing or crackling), fuses blowing, circuit-breakers tripping or if it feels hot.
Use plugs with the British Standard safety mark - they have live and neutral pins with insulating sleeves that allow you to put them in and pull them out of sockets safety.
Always replace damaged cables immediately.