Home   Services   Safety around the house   References   Contact us   Links

Safety around the house


There are many dangers around the house, please take a look at the sections below or alternatively have a look at the following website. http://www.esc.org.uk/safety-in-the-home



Water carries electricity efficiently. The result can be fatal if the two are mixed. The electrics in a bathroom are extremly important as this is possibly the most dangerous room in the house. There are special requirements for electrical installations in bathrooms.


Sockets are not allowed in bathrooms or shower rooms. Only shaver-supply units can be used and should be a safe distance from the bath or shower to avoid splashes. You should never bring mains-powered portable appliances such as hairdryers, heaters or radios into the bathroom. This is extremely dangerous and can cause severe injury or even fatality.


Preferable enclosed ceiling lights should be used as apposed to pendant ones. All light fittings must be out of reach, or enclosed to keep water out. The safest option for light switch in the bathroom is a ceiling-mounted pull-cord switch with the cord made of insulating material. Standard wall-mounted switches can be a possible danger because of dampness and wet hands.

Heaters and towel rails

The safest way to keep a bathroom warm is central heating but if you do have an electric room heater, it must be fixed at a safe distance from the bath or shower. Electric and gas water heaters must be fixed and permanently wired. They must never be supplied by a plug and socket.


An electric shower must be supplied direct form the consumer unit.





Disclaimer | Sitemap

Copyright © 2010 GD Electrics.
All rights reserved.